Penalty for defamation
Draft bill #8380 of January 24, 2023
Sponsor: Antonina Slavytska, the Restoration of Ukraine group
Who is affected: media, journalists, NGOs, users of social media
Summary of the bill: “negative information about a person” will be assumed untrue unless a person who shared this information proves that it is true.
What is wrong:
- it is hard to predict what negative consequences the bill will bring if adopted. The bill affects both the work of media and even regular conversations between citizens who will be forced to censor things they say
- the bill violates obligations of Ukraine under the European Convention on Human Rights: any person has the right to freedom of expression
- there are no clear criteria to establish what constitutes negative information. As a result, it will be possible to consider any information about a particular person as negative
- the bill will hinder the work of media, in particular, the work of journalists investigating the activities of officials and government bodies since practically all their publications contain negative information
- the bill introduces a presumption of guilt for sharing negative information.
Additional information: a provision about defamation existed in Ukrainian legislation before 2014. After the Revolution of Dignity, it was excluded.
Alternative solution: the bill should be withdrawn. There is a procedure to protect the honor and business reputation in Ukraine already: a person can sue a party spreading disinformation about him or her. Currently, this is the best solution for keeping the balance between ensuring the freedom of speech and fighting hate speech.
If you liked this post, you can donate usDonate
Forced evacuation of children from the war…
Cabinet resolution #209 of March 7, 2023 Decision-maker: the Cabinet of Ministers Who is affected: residents of the frontline areas…
Additional funding for the security and defense…
Draft bill #9105 of March 13, 2023 Sponsor: the Cabinet of Ministers Who is affected: the Ministry of Defense, the…